Monday, October 8, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: REWIND


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Top Ten Favorite Books I've Read During The Lifespan Of My Blog

Believe it or not, but my blog has been around for roughly a year. I have only been blogging consistently (if you want to call it that) since December, and I even used to do the Top Ten Tuesday meme fairly regularly over at Krazy Book Lady (who is fabulous, by the way). Anyways, this is a freebie week, and I thought this would be a great post to get back into the swing of things. (Yes, there will be more reviews, but I just have to type up what I've written on paper and wander away from. I know how awful I am.) So on to my Top Ten in chronological order!

1. Silver-Tongued Devil by Jaye Wells

I LOVE urban fantasy as a genre, and this book is probably one of my all-time favorites in the genre. It is #4 in the series following half-mage/half-vampire, Sabina Kane, and it is the best of the group. The character-building is awesome, and the book never read like it was just a bridge to the end. The last book, Blue-Blooded Vamp is out, but I haven't read it yet because I'm not ready to say goodbye. (Yes, I'm really bad about things like that.)

Fun bit of trivia: I have the entire series signed because I guess I stalk Jaye Wells. She is HILARIOUS and totally worth it. Just don't tell her I said that. (My Review)

2. Latter-Day of the Dead by Kevin Krohn

Zombies + Mormons = AWESOME!

Seriously, I didn't know what to expect when I first got the request for this book. I have always been a bit wary of indies, but I think this was my very first review request. How could I not take it? I am so, so glad that I did. Krohn really alleviated my fear of indies that I had acquired from reading so many of the free books on Amazon, and I'm really looking forward to the next book. If you like zombies or horror at all, you really can't go wrong with this book. (My Review)




3. Starters by Lissa Price

I read this book with a MIGRAINE, while trying to decide if it was bad enough to warrant an emergency room visit - what else do you need to know?(My Review)






4. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Okay, so we have the gothic, steampunky goodness set in a dystopian past/future (who knows) with a love triangle that actually works?! Oh yeah, this is good stuff. Also, Elliot is one of my book boyfriends, so don't get any ideas. (My Review)






5. The Selection by Kiera Cass

Literary. Cotton. Candy. We all love it, and it always goes so quickly. Not everything has to be deep or meaningful or literary - sometimes a good fluffy story is all we need. I would also like more, please. (My Review)





6. Dust Girl by Sarah Zettel

I don't know if it was Kansas, the unique heroine, the writing style, or the fey, but man I loved this book. I've read a bunch of mixed reviews, but I have nothing but good things to say about this story. It's a Dust Bowl American fairy tale that I look forward to reading again.(My Review)



7. Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

This was a strange freakin' book like nothing I've ever read before. It has not been published in America yet, sadly, and I recommend using Fishpond if you're going to buy a copy. (Its sequel, Angel Arias, was the first of many books that I bought from the website.) Anyways, it has the dystopian thing with quasi-vampires, mystery, OLDER young adult romance, partying, and just basic awesomeness. This book needs to be brought here ASAP. (My Review)




8. Let's Hear It for Almigal by Wendy Kupfer

This is one that I was sent to review with my daughter. It was so unbelievably cute, and we both loved it. It's about a girl who got cochlear implants, and it taught my daughter a lesson about people who look different. The illustrations were fantastic as well. (My Review)




9. The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

This isn't really my style of book, but I loved it anyways. Plane crashes, sharks, starvation, dehydration - not for me. However, I'll take some excellent writing any day of the week. This story is worth checking out even if it's not your thing.(My Review)





10. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

This is one of the most beautiful books that I have ever read. Ever. And it broke me. Seriously - I did the ugly cry. Yeah, maybe someone in my family had just died (or quite a few someones), but it really made me think about things. Maybe it even helped me let go. (My Review)



So, those are my Top Ten books that I've reviewed here at Bibliophilia, Please. There are several others that I've read and adored, but I haven't written the reviews yet. (I'm looking at you, Skylark and The Raven Boys.)

6 comments:

  1. Oh you reminded me about Latter Day of the Dead! I must go buy it when I finish writing this comment.

    And The Raft was great - but ya know I'm fascinated by all that destruction and personal struggle stuff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I absolutely LOVED Masque of the Red Death, totally one of my favorites too. And that gorgeous cover.

    Great list! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adored Masque of the Red Death!! I haven't read any o the other books but I have Burn Bright and The Selection on my TBR list.
    Great TT topic to choose!

    You can check out mine here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books! I REALLY wanna read The Raft and The Lost Girl, so I'm glad they were in your TTT!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your taste in books is so all over the place. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these, but I'm glad to hear you loved The Selection! I'm looking forward to reading that one.

    ReplyDelete

You are going to put words in my box?! *squeezes you* Now I shall stalk YOUR blog!