Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for Young Adult (YA)




This is such a fun genre because it's not really a genre if you think about it. Hell, it's not even an audience because there are people who are OBVIOUSLY NOT (sorry!) young adults who read these novels. I mean, I am, but I know some of you are old. Okay, fine. I'm older than "young adult", too. The point is - the authors of these books are a lot more creative and take a lot more chances than some other genres. Plus, the plots move a lot faster, for the most part, and you're not required to participate in the Thought Olympics to understand what's going on in the book.

What I'm going to show you is some of the variety in the young adult genre, plus some new releases. I'm going to warn you now that my "variety" is not going to include contemporary because I don't really read those, and I don't know what's good. Also, these are collages of the pictures that I already had on my computer. :-P

Dystopian


Paranormal


Post-Apocalyptic


Science Fiction


Out, But Unread


Coming Soon


10 comments:

  1. Wow. These covers don't look like yung adult at all. The world is changing, and with it, the lives of teens. Sigh. No use wishing to turn back the clock.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but it's not necessarily changing for the worse. It seems to me that a lot more kids are reading, and it's suddenly cool to do it. I'm beyond psyched that teens are excited about books, and if nontraditional covers help - good for them! :-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great post! You have presented YA far better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love YA covers. I only recently started reading YA and am enjoying all the dystopian and paranormal activity! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love YA covers, they are some of the most beautiful ones in bookstores. I'm a big YA junking, love reading them and love writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YA is so much fun, but you're right - it's really NOT a genre in and of itself. Still, if its YA, I tend to enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read lots of the books You pictured because my teenage daughter insists. They have some great covers that really draw you in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this! You did a beautiful job with the y post & images! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting to see the covers that they come up with YA books. I agree that YA is not really a genre either. It is always see what you will learn when you get to the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete

You are going to put words in my box?! *squeezes you* Now I shall stalk YOUR blog!